Information for Dental Assisting Students

Last updated: June 20, 2023

At: 3:07 pm

You can apply for Provisional Registration when you are in the process of completing your National Dental Assisting Examining Board (NDAEB) requirements. Learn more about Provisional Registration.

You are eligible to apply when you:

  • complete an accredited* dental assisting program
  • are scheduled to write the NDAEB Written Exam (see note)


  • complete a non-accredited* dental assisting program
  • pass the NDAEB Written Exam
  • pass at least one skill in the NDAEB Clinical Practice Evaluation


  • are enrolled in an accredited* distance delivery program
  • complete at least one intra-oral course

To apply, follow our Guide for NDAEB in Progress (Provisional) Applicants. It has step-by-step instructions for accessing and using our online application.

*Accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of Canada. Check their website to confirm your program’s accreditation status.

When you complete your NDAEB requirements you must apply to transfer your practice permit from Provisional to Registered.

To apply, use our Transfer from Provisional to Registered application. You’ll find it in our Portal at Registration Change Request.

When can I start work as a dental assistant?

Before you start working, you must have a practice permit so that you are authorized to provide dental assisting services to the public. When you show up in our Registry as Provisional or Registered, you may begin working.

Can I work as a dental assistant after I complete my education but before I have a practice permit?

No. You may only practice as a dental assistant when you have a practice permit. If you choose to practice without a practice permit you are putting yourself, the patient’s well-being and your employer at risk.

Check with your program chair/lead or sponsoring dentist to ensure you are covered while you are a student and working with patients.

If you don’t have coverage through your program or sponsoring dentist you must arrange your own professional liability insurance. You are responsible to ensure you have adequate liability coverage before you work with patients.

If you have coverage through your program while you are a student, that coverage does not protect you after you complete your program.

If you choose to practice without professional liability insurance you are putting yourself, the patient’s well-being and your employer at risk. Without professional liability insurance you could be held personally liable for your actions or mistakes.

You will need to complete the Continuing Competence Program (CCP) requirements when you become a Provisional or Registered Dental Assistant. Learn about the CCP requirements.

We also invite you to join us at a CCP Introduction Workshop. At these virtual workshops we’ll teach you about the CCP – what it is, what you need to do, and how to do it.

Scroll to Top