Renewing Your Dental Assisting Permit
Annual renewal opens early in October. The renewal deadline is November 30.
Here’s a brief overview of what’s in your renewal application. Reviewing it will help you prepare for a quick and easy renewal. These resources will also help you complete your renewal:
- Follow our Guide for Online Annual Practice Permit Renewal. It has step-by-step instructions for accessing and using our online renewal application.
- Use this Permit Renewal Application Checklist to help you keep track of the steps you complete.
Renewal Tip To make your renewal as easy as possible, you can take care of most of these things in the Portal before you begin your renewal application.
Check that all your contact information is current in your profile (for example, name, email, mailing address and phone number). If you need to change your name, have verification ready to upload.
You must keep the information in your Profile up to date. It’s required by the Health Professions Act and Dental Assistants Profession Regulation.
Complete your competence requirements
- You will need to have your learning objectives for the current year completed by November 30.
- Calculate your practice hours. You need to fulfill a minimum of 300 practice hours in a 3-year period.*
- Plan your learning for next year. You will need to record 2 proposed learning objectives before you renew.
*If you have less than 300 practice hours, you also meet the current practice requirement if you:
- graduated from a dental assisting education program within the last three years, or
- complete a Clinical Refresher Course, or
- complete the National Dental Assisting Examining Board Clinical Practice Evaluation, or
- have current dental assisting practice rights in another regulated province
Patient Relations Module
You must have completed the Patient Relations Final Exam before you renew. If you haven’t done it yet, you can access it in the Professional Practice Learning Centre (PPLC). It’s a one-time requirement. If you completed it in the past, you meet the requirement. Check the PPLC if you’re not sure.
Not completing the Patient Relations Final Exam may result in cancellation or suspension of your Registration and/or Practice Permit.
Professional Liability Insurance
You must have your own professional liability insurance (PLI) coverage in place for December 1st through November 30th before you can renew. Have your proof of PLI ready to upload. These options may help get you started:
- Prolink (https://prolink.insure/associations/rdaa/) is one option of an insurance company that offers PLI that meets our College’s PLI requirement. They hold our current PLI policy (which expires on November 30, 2022). Dental assistants covered by our PLI policy are “existing Prolink Clients” and may extend that coverage by contacting Prolink and purchasing their own individual coverage.
- Association of Alberta Dental Assistants (https://rda-alberta.ca/pli-membership/) is one option of an association that offers a group plan that meets our College’s PLI requirement.
Check our PLI Questions & Answers for information about the kind and amount of PLI you need, and what you can use as proof.
Employment information updates
Check that all your employment information is current (for example, employer name and contact information, your start and end dates, hours, role).
You must keep your employment information up to date. It’s required by the Health Professions Act and Dental Assistants Profession Regulation.
Applicant’s Statement, Terms and Conditions
The declarations you make about your eligibility to renew and the information you provide in your renewal application are important. Read carefully and respond accurately.
Fee and Payment
The renewal fee is $225.00. Have your credit card ready to pay your fee in the renewal application form.
After You Renew
- print your Practice Permit
- print your receipt
If you won’t be practicing as a dental assistant in the upcoming registration year, you may not need to renew your Permit. You can learn more at Transfer to Leave of Absence and at Cancel Permit and Registration.