Provisional Dental Assisting Practice
Provisional (Temporary) Registration
We may grant a Provisional Practice Permit when you are working toward completing your registration requirements. Provisional registration allows you to practice under direct supervision only (details below). You may perform:
- administrative duties
- infection prevention and control procedures
- laboratory procedures
- chairside assisting
- entry and advanced practices we have authorized you for
You may only use the title Dental Assistant.
- you graduated from a Canadian accredited* dental assisting program and are scheduled to write the National Dental Assisting Examining Board (NDAEB) written examination, or
- you graduated from a non-accredited* dental assisting program and have passed at least one skill in the NDAEB Clinical Practice Evaluation
- you are an accredited* distance delivery program student and you have completed at least one intra-oral course
*Accreditation through the Commission on Dental Accreditation of Canada.
You may hold a Provisional Practice Permit for a maximum of 365 days.
You may practice only while supervised by a Registered Dental Assistant, dentist, dental hygienist, denturist or other person approved by the Registrar. Supervision means on-site and able to assist.
You must apply for a regular Practice Permit once you complete your final registration requirements.