Provisional Dental Assisting Practice
Provisional (Temporary) Registration
We may grant a Provisional Practice Permit when you are working toward completing these registration requirements:
- National Dental Assisting Examining Board (NDAEB) written exam
- NDAEB clinical practice evaluation (CPE)
- intra-oral upgrading
A Provisional Practice Permit allows you to practice under direct supervision only. You may practice only while supervised by a Registered Dental Assistant, dentist, dental hygienist, denturist or other person approved by the Registrar. Supervision means on-site and able to assist.
You may perform:
- administrative duties
- infection prevention and control procedures
- laboratory procedures
- chairside assisting
- entry and advanced practices we have authorized you for
You may only use the title Dental Assistant.
- you graduated from a Canadian accredited* dental assisting program and are scheduled to write the NDAEB written examination (see note), or
- you graduated from a non-accredited* dental assisting program and have passed at least one skill in the NDAEB CPE
- you are an accredited* distance delivery program student and you have completed at least one intra-oral course
If you meet any of our eligibility requirements, you can apply for Provisional Registration. To apply, click on “Activate now!” in our Applicant Portal. When you are asked to Choose Category, select the NDAEB in Progress (Provisional) option.
*Accreditation through the Commission on Dental Accreditation of Canada.
Important to Know
- You are allowed to have a Provisional Practice Permit for up to 365 days.
- You must complete your registration requirements within 365 days of becoming provisionally registered.
- Your Provisional Practice Permit will expire on November 30. To keep your provisional status after November 30 (for the remainder of your 365 day maximum) you must renew your Permit before it expires.
- When you have completed your registration requirements, you must apply to transfer your Permit from provisional to registered.
The NDAEB has changed to computer-based registration and testing. They are arranging testing centre seats for 2021. Exam seats are limited and in high demand because of a backlog of exam candidates due to the pandemic.
If you intend to apply for Provisional Registration and have attempted to register for the NDAEB Exam but the Exam is full or registration isn’t available, you may still be eligible to apply. Complete this form and submit it with your application for Provisional Registration.