Provisional Dental Assisting Practice

Provisional (Temporary) Registration

We may grant a Provisional Practice Permit when you are working toward completing your registration requirements. Provisional registration allows you to practice under direct supervision only (details below). You may perform:

  • administrative duties
  • infection prevention and control procedures
  • laboratory procedures
  • chairside assisting
  • entry and advanced practices we have authorized you for

You may only use the title Dental Assistant.


  • you graduated from a Canadian accredited* dental assisting program and are scheduled to write the National Dental Assisting Examining Board (NDAEB) written examination, or
  • you graduated from a non-accredited* dental assisting program and have passed at least one skill in the NDAEB Clinical Practice Evaluation
  • you are an accredited* distance delivery program student and you have completed at least one intra-oral course

Use this form to apply.

*Accreditation through the Commission on Dental Accreditation of Canada.

You may hold a Provisional Practice Permit for a maximum of 365 days.


You may practice only while supervised by a Registered Dental Assistant, dentist, dental hygienist, denturist or other person approved by the Registrar. Supervision means on-site and able to assist.

You must apply for a regular Practice Permit once you complete your final registration requirements.

Scroll to Top