Advanced Dental Assisting Practice Authorization
There are four advanced practices:
You must hold a valid practice permit and be authorized by us before providing advanced practice dental assisting services. We have two pathways to advanced practice authorization:
- Approved Program
- Substantial Equivalence
Use this form to apply for authorization to practice an Advanced Practice if you completed an Approved Course or if you can demonstrate Substantial Equivalence.
These courses are Approved:
- Columbia College Continuing Education Orthodontic Module
- NAIT Dental Assisting Technology Program
- SAIT Polytechnic Continuing Education Orthodontic Module
- University of Alberta Continuing Dental Education Orthodontic Module
To demonstrate substantial equivalence, you must:
- have completed formal education for an Advanced Practice that is substantially equivalent to the Clinical Competencies in our Program Approval Policies, or
- have current dental assisting practice rights for an Advanced Practice that:
- are for a Canadian province where dental assisting is regulated, and
- are in good standing and not limited in any way
There are other factors that may impact your eligibility for advanced practice authorization. Check our applications and Registration Policies for details.
This information is subject to change at any time.