Council approved circulating these proposed Bylaw changes for you to review. Note that we only included the sections that are relevant to the changes. For comparison, or to see the rest of the Bylaws, you can refer to our current Bylaws here.
Email your feedback to us at email@example.com by April 9, 2020.
We will give your feedback to the Governance and Nominations Committee. Next, the Committee will consider your feedback and, as appropriate, will make recommendations to Council about adjustments to the proposed changes.
Why are we making these changes?
Alberta Health has asked that health regulatory colleges publish information about professional conduct hearings on their websites and in a similar way to each other. In response, the colleges worked together to create a framework for doing this. For our College to comply, we need to adjust Section 8 of our Bylaws. (See Publication of Information in our Summary of Changes below.)
In addition to the Publication of Information section, we are proposing several other changes. Here is a summary of the changes:
Summary of Changes
- clarify wording to reflect that notice of amendments to Regulated Members will include information about accessing the proposed changes
- adjust how time is represented for clarity
- add chairing the Registrar Performance Management Committee
PUBLICATION OF INFORMATION
- add “Hearings” to the name of section 8
- remove disclosure and release of Members’ information subject to legislation and policy
- remove publish decisions under Part 4 of the Health Professions Act as directed by the Hearing Tribunal or Complaint Review Committee
- add College will publish Notices of Hearings and Notices of Appeals and that the investigated member will be named in the publication
- add College will publish, for five years/as directed by the Hearing Tribunal/as required by the Act, Hearing Tribunal decisions, Council appeal decisions, Court of Appeal decisions and agreements and undertakings and that the investigated member will be named in the publication
- add College will publish information as directed by a Hearing Tribunal, the Council on an appeal or the Court of Appeal
- remove Leave of Absence from “Registers for Categories of Other Members” – a leave of absence member does not have a current practice permit, however, they are still on the General Register, therefore, they remain regulated members
- remove Honorary Lifetime from “Registers for Categories of Other Members” – Council discontinued this membership category
- add that Membership as an Other Member may be cancelled at the member’s request
- remove that a regulated member must have a valid Practice Permit to be in good standing – leave of absence are regulated members but do not have valid practice permits
RENEWAL OF PRACTICE PERMIT
- adjust wording to clarify when a renewal application is due
- add that a penalty may be assessed to renewal applications received after the deadline