Therapy & Counselling Funding

There are a variety of situations in which you may be eligible for funding for counselling or therapy. In fact, filing a complaint with us and alleging that a Dental Assistant has committed sexual abuse or sexual misconduct while you were a patient is one of the eligibility criteria for receiving funding. Call us at 780-486-2526 for details.

You can access treatment and counselling as soon as you file a complaint. There does not have to be a finding of guilt.

We pay for the treatment and counselling but it is administered by a third party. We do not receive information about the treatment and counselling.

Overview of Funds

  • A patient may access funds for up to five years or until the maximum amount of funding has been provided, whichever occurs first.
  • Funds cease if the complaint is dismissed.
  • The patient may choose any regulated health professional to provide treatment or counselling, subject to the following restrictions:
    • the regulated member does not have a conflict of interest (i.e., not a family member)
    • the regulated member is in good standing with their regulatory college
  • Funding can only be used to cover the cost of treatment or counselling.
  • The maximum amount of funding available to a patient is $22,000.


  • A complaint is made respecting a dental assistant that meets the definition of sexual abuse or sexual misconduct.
  • The individual is a patient as defined by the Standards of Practice.

To Apply

The third-party we use to administer the fund also offers treatment and counselling services, or they will manage payment to a qualified provider of your choice.

To apply for funding contact the Complaints Director at 780-486-2526

Other Treatment and Counselling Services

There may be other community resources you can access. Contact the Association of Alberta Sexual Assault Services for services in your area.

Scroll to Top