In October Calgarians will vote about adding fluoride to Calgary’s water. Before you vote, review evidence-based information to help you make an informed decision.
We encourage you to visit:
- Alberta’s Community water fluoridation in Alberta
- Alberta Health Services’ Calgary Community Water Fluoridation
- Alberta Health Services’ Oral Health
- Alberta Health Services’ What Does the Science Say?
- Health Canada’s Fact sheet – Community water fluoridation
- Health Canada’s Fluoride and Oral Health
- Health Canada’s Guidelines for Canadian Drinking Water Quality: Guideline Technical Document – Fluoride
Community Water Fluoridation
Community water fluoridation adjusts the fluoride level in the public water supply to the level recommended to prevent tooth decay. Tooth decay continues to be a common health problem among Canadians, in children and adults. It is most prevalent among disadvantaged people who do not have the financial resources to receive dental care. It offers significant benefit with very low risk and reaches all residents who are connected to a municipal water supply.