Transfer Your Dental Assisting Permit to a Leave of Absence
Last updated: November 11, 2019
Dental assistants* who are taking a leave from practice, and intend to return, may apply for Leave of Absence in the Portal during our annual renewal period.
When you are on a Leave of Absence you:
- do not hold a Practice Permit (it is suspended)
- are not covered by malpractice insurance
- may not perform any professional services which:
- are directly connected to the dental industry in Alberta, and/or
- require or benefit from a dental assisting background i.e. dental assisting, dental hygiene, dental administration, health authorities, dental insurance, dental sales, dental labs, dental education, denture labs
- may not use the protected titles Registered Dental Assistant and Dental Assistant
- must reinstate your Practice Permit before you return to practice, in any capacity, in the dental field
Leave of Absence
- must be renewed annually
- may be renewed for up to three years
*Provisional Dental Assistants are not eligible for Leave of Absence.