Transfer Your Dental Assisting Permit to a Leave of Absence
Last updated: October 6, 2021
Dental assistants* who are taking a leave from practice, and intend to return, may apply for Leave of Absence during our annual renewal period. Annual renewal opens mid-September and the renewal deadline is October 31.
If you have questions about renewing Leave of Absence, review this information.
To help you determine if you’re eligible to apply for Leave of Absence, answer these questions:
- Are you taking a temporary leave from practicing in Alberta (i.e. performing any professional services related to the dental industry and/or using your dental assisting background)?
- Will your leave begin by December 1 this year and end after November 30 next year?
- Do you plan to return to practice within 3 years?
If you answer yes to all three questions, then you may be eligible for Leave of Absence.
If you choose to apply to transfer to Leave of Absence, follow our Guide for Transferring from Registered to Leave of Absence (non-practicing). It has step-by-step instructions for accessing and using our online application.
When you apply, you will pay an Application Assessment Fee of $26.25. If we approve your application, you will need to pay the Leave of Absence Fee of $112.50 to complete your application and have your status transferred.
What it Means
When you are on a Leave of Absence you:
- do not hold a Practice Permit (it is suspended)
- are not covered by malpractice insurance
- may not perform any professional services which:
- are directly connected to the dental industry in Alberta, and/or
- require or benefit from a dental assisting background i.e. dental assisting, dental hygiene, dental administration, health authorities, dental insurance, dental sales, dental labs, dental education, denture labs
- may not use the protected titles Registered Dental Assistant and Dental Assistant
- must reinstate your Practice Permit before you return to practice, in any capacity, in the dental field
Important to Note
Leave of Absence:
- takes effect on December 1 and expires on November 30
- must be renewed annually
- may be renewed twice (maximum three consecutive years)
*Provisional Dental Assistants are not eligible for Leave of Absence.