Dental Assisting Malpractice Insurance

Dental assistants must have malpractice insurance.

What is Malpractice Insurance?

Malpractice insurance, also known as professional liability insurance, protects you against potential negligence claims made by your patients and employers. A professional liability policy covers errors, omissions or negligent acts, which may arise from the normal or usual duties that you do.

To ensure that all dental assistants have the type and amount of coverage we require, we have a Malpractice Insurance Program in place for registrants to ensure that all dental assistants are covered.

The coverage includes:

  • $2,000,000 liability insurance per occurrence
  • $3,000,000 liability insurance annual aggregate
  • coverage for legal defense costs incurred in a claim or lawsuit
  • coverage for legal fees related to disciplinary action by a provincial regulator
  • coverage for loss of earnings (up to $500 per day)

The policy provides coverage for any occurrence happening during the policy term, even if the action is brought in subsequent years when you have retired or may not be practicing. The policy is in force the date you become registered.

The coverage excludes:

  • services not customary for a practicing Dental Assistant or business administrator
  • deliberate, dishonest or fraudulent acts
  • any occurrence covered by other valid and collectible insurance. In some cases, policy-holders are covered under an employer’s insurance policy (our policy would apply only if coverage under the other policy is insufficient)
  • any additional liability assumed under contract
  • property damage to property in the care, custody, and control of a dental assistant

If you think a claim may be made against you, you must contact Paul at Prolink immediately at 1-800-663-6828. Identify yourself as a registrant of the College of Alberta Dental Assistants and be prepared to describe what happened. He will assist you with any next steps.

You could be denied coverage if you do not report the possibility of a claim to the insurer as soon as you are aware of that possibility.

You must report any findings of negligence to the Registrar.

Insurance Certificate

If you need us to provide you with written verification of your professional liability insurance coverage, submit a Malpractice Insurance Certificate Request in our portal.

Scroll to Top