At their November 2022 meeting, Council:
Participated in learning about:
- enterprise risk management for regulatory colleges
- Mahon and Associates as auditors for the June 1, 2022, to May 31, 2023, fiscal year
- Kaitlyn Johnston, registration number 14241, to Council for the December 1, 2022, through November 30, 2025, term
Council appointed Kaitlyn Johnston through our new merit-based appointments. Learn about merit-based appointments.
- Sheri Gervais, registration number 2829, to the Registrar Performance Management Committee
- revised Standards of Practice, effective December 31, 2022
Council considered draft Standards that include changes based on feedback from registrants, other colleges, and Government. Changes include making restricted activities clearer and easier to find and adding that dental assistants must keep their competence records for five years.
Our revised Standards of Practice meet the requirements of Bill 46, the Health Statutes Amendment Act 2020. Learn more here. These items will be in our new Standards of Practice to align with the Government’s plan to have the next phase of Bill 46 in force by December 31st:
- general supervision permissions and requirements
- supervision requirements while performing restricted activities
- the Competence Program
- consulting registrants and other stakeholders about proposed changes to the Continuing Competence Policies
The changes to the Policies include removing outdated content, making competence program requirements clearer and adding program information.
- spending up to $20,000.00 for improving the College’s office space
The College office has been in the same space since 2008 and things like flooring, paint and window coverings need updating. With our lease renewal we received an allowance to improve our space and will add up to $20,000.00 to complete the updates.
- revised Terms of Reference for Complaint Review Committees and Hearing Tribunals
The Terms of Reference now state who is eligible for the roster we use for Complaint Review Committees and Hearing Tribunals. They also explain what happens if a person on the roster is no longer eligible.
- The recommendations presented by the Registrar Performance Management Committee.
- a revised Registrar Position Description
The only change is removing the need for the Registrar to be a Registered Dental Assistant with dental assisting experience. The Registrar’s role focuses on overall strategic and operational leadership. Dental assisting knowledge and experience may be helpful but isn’t necessary for the role. This change fits with our inclusive value.
- progress on achieving the Strategic Plan
- a Communications Strategy that supports the Strategic Plan
- the draft Bylaws that are available for registrants and other stakeholders to comment on until December 11, 2022
- the Registrar’s performance
- Lisa Rahimi as President for December 1, 2022, through November 30, 2023
- Genevera Hunt as Vice-President for December 1, 2022, through November 30, 2023
- Tongjie (TJ) Zhang as Treasurer for December 1, 2022, through November 30, 2023
- Approved Program status to the Risio Institute for Digital Dental Education Inc. Dental Assistant Distance Delivery Program
Risio’s Dental Assistant Distance Delivery Program held Provisionally Approved status. The Program now meets all requirements for Approved Program status, including achieving accreditation with the Commission on Dental Accreditation of Canada.
- Advanced Practice Prosthodontic Approved Course status to the Risio Institute for Digital Dental Education, effective November 26, 2022, until June 30, 2023.
This limited-time Approved Course status will allow Risio to offer a Prosthodontic Course to the graduates of their Provisionally Approved Program only.
- Meena Aheer, registration number 5290; Micheline Gagnon-Wardill, registration number 3148; Jolene Moore, registration number 8516; Tamara Parker, registration number 4643; Carmen Sheridan, registration number 10784; and Tara Toner, registration number 5224, to the Registration Committee, with Jolene Moore as chair, for the December 1, 2022, through November 30, 2023 term
- Meena Aheer, registration number 5290; Jolene Moore, registration number 8516; Tamara Parker, registration number 4643; and Tara Toner, registration number 5224; to the Competence Committee with Jolene Moore as chair, for the December 1, 2022, through November 30, 2023 term